Tuesday, November 12, 2013

climbing lion's head // cape town


I am still in Cape Town for work and I was lucky enough to have the weekend off to enjoy a bit of the beautiful city. The cablecar up to Table Mountain was closed on Saturday due to strong winds, so my colleagues suggested that we climb up Lion's Head on Sunday morning to enjoy the views from there.

There are four major "peaks" in the vicinity of Cape Town - Devil's Peak, Table Mountain, Lion's Head and Signal Hill. Lion's Head is almost 670m above sea level and (besides Signal Hill to where you can drive), the easiest peak to hike up to. So, Sunday morning 7 am we started our hike from the road leading to Signal Hill up the dusty track towards Lion's Head.


Basically the walking paths wraps around the mountain and you walk up in a large spiral - you have stunning views to each side while walking up. Table Mountain, the 12 Apostles, Camps Bay, Sea Point, Green Point, the city. All passing by while hiking along.

Then it gets a bit rough. The upper part of the peak doesn't have a path, but only rocks to climb up. Sometimes you have to climb a few meters up vertically, with the help of ladders and chains. A bit scary. If you are afraid of heights. As, unfortunately, I am. Just enough.


Its quite a climb up, your legs getting weaker and weaker, the sun burning down, but then.... then you are rewarded by the most stunning views! Oh gosh, the view is fantastic!! Look at the beautiful Table Mountain - no wonder it is one of the new 7 wonders of the new world, it is a stunning sight!!


On the other side, the mountain literally drops into thin air and the city of Cape Town is lying beneath your feet! The suburbs of Green Point and Sea Point open up underneath and the blue ocean is glittering as a backdrop. A-mazing!! I didn't want to, but was "forced" by my colleagues to walk across and stand on a boulder that is sticking out from the peak - don't let the picture fool you!! My smile is almost hysterical and as soon as the picture was taken, I was back on my knees, crawling. My stomach turned, my legs were shaking - oh well, those are the hurdles you have to overcome to get this once-in-your-lifetime shot!! Love it!


If you ever come to Cape Town, make sure to climb Lion's Head. It took us about 3 hours to get up and back down (with a longish cookie break on top) and it looks worst than it actually is. Just make sure to start early in the morning, there is alomost no shade on top and the sun is really strong!

Have you ever been to Cape Town? Isn't it a stunning place? *K

10 comments:

  1. i lived in cape town for a few months when i was 18 and would love to go back. so beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stunning!

    The hiking conditions sound a bit like Norway (chains, letters, cliffs) but I think they make the views that much more worth it. We didn't do any hiking when in Cape Town but will certainly keep this in mind should we go back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! I live in Cape Town. Lived here all my life. But not a huge fan of Lions Head. Too many ppl. I much prefer Skeleton Gorge, which starts at the base of Kirstenbosch.

    How long you staying in CT for?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wahnsinn! Leider war ich noch nie da. Aber es ist wunderschön.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful—but I would have been sooo freaked out, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! Seems to be a great hike tour! I really love hiking. And I am also afraid of heights, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. The picture of you standing on the boulder made me go weak in the knees. I'd like to think I could be that brave too... but I don't know! I'd probably be on my hands and knees the whole time... hissing at Mike to stay away from the ledge!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, The view from the top is so amazing!

    http://palamutishop.com

    ReplyDelete

  9. Hello,Thanks for sharing the one more impressive and useful information.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohh, how beautiful! Capetown still is one of my favorite places ever - and your photos make me miss that place (and the whole continent) even more...hope you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails