Monday, May 27, 2013

melbourne | from above


The Empire State Building in New York. The Eiffel tower in Paris. The Shard in London.
And the Eureka Tower in Melbourne.

Observation decks offer us a spectualar view on cities from above. The streets we normally walk in, the streets we drive on, the buildings, parks, landmarks we visit. Suddenly all small down below. I love to view a city from above, the perspective is refreshing and exciting.

Some weeks ago we visited the Eureka tower in the heart of Melbournes' Southbank predinct - its 297 meters high, the highest building in Melbourne, and the observation deck is located on level 88. You have a great view all around, from St Kilda to the South, the CBD to the North, the harbour to the West and even the Skipping Girl sign can be seen from up here (tiny tiny in the distance).

We took the lift up just before the sunset, unfortunately it wasn't as spectacular as we hoped for.
But the view was still breathtaking and we waited for the Blue Hour and the many city lights.



I generally enjoyed it, the only thing that really really bothered me were the reflections in the windows. It was almost not possible to take a picture without reflection of the inside of the room... And my polaristion filter was at home, not on my camera. Grrr....

However, every annoying thing has a positive side and I took great pictures of the building reflecting in front of the skyline. Happy photographer again!


It was beautiful to see the city transform from daylight to nighttime, from dusk to blue. You can't see the end of Melbourne, only the Port Philipp Bay to one side doesn't shine with lights when its dark. Quite an amazing sight!!
 

Whats the best observation deck you have visited so far? I loved the Empire State Buidling (who doesn't really?) and the local skyscrapers in Frankfurt, my hometown.
 

14 comments:

  1. That reflection photo...WOW!

    I remember visiting a few places in Singapore with great views of the city from above - Marina Bay Sands and the Altitude Bar at One Raffles Place come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness - that photo with the building reflection is STUNNING. You should consider turning it into a print, Kristina!
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, das sind wunderbare Fotos. Die Abendbilder: genial. Die Stadt scheint unendlich zu sein.

    Das höchste, was ich in D besucht habe, war der Fernsehturm in Berlin. Hat man auch einen guten Blick, nur nicht so viele Hochhäuser.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many gorgeous photos of an amazing and beautiful city xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So dreamy and beautiful:) What a perfect place to just enjoy the view:) Happy day, lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. stunning photos! i cant wait to visit melbourne again !

    http://hanaljoofri.blogspot.sg

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the images! Getting up on an observation deck in the evening when the sun is still up and watching the sunset then is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Die Bilder sind fantastisch! Vor allem das erste von den Reflektionen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. breathtaking photos! i love them!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey There. I discovered your blog the use of msn. This is a really well written article.
    I'll be sure to bookmark it and return to read extra of your helpful information.
    Thank you for the post. I'll definitely comeback.

    You are welcome to my blog: Verified dofollow blog list

    ReplyDelete
  11. my first visit here and I already love it .. quite great photos ..
    ..,-
    tine

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been in Melbourne for a while now yet I've never been up there. shame on me. Those views are stunning and your photos make me wanna go there!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails