Friday, April 12, 2013

eating out // colonel tan's


For my birthday last Saturday we got together with some friends and celebrated with dinner + a few drinks. We met in one of my all-time favorite restaurants as it is so quintessential Melbourne that I just have to love it - Colonel Tans's on Chapel Street.

It is actually part of a multi-purpose venue called Revolver Upstairs which also has a nightclub, live concert venue and bar on offer. After climbing a dangerously steep staircase, you find yourself left in a hallway with different doors and small passageways - take the one on your left, continue to walk to the back and then turn right - welcome to Colonel Tan's.



I love the decor of the rather large, open space with high ceilings, a quirky mix of furniture, lights and colourful street art on the walls. They actually have five original Banksy's up on the walls (now protected with perspex) - unfortunately I only found out after taking the pictures. Bummer. If you check the third picture below, on the far right side you see parts of a policemen? Thats by Banksy.



They serve Thai food and its really good!!! I had the stir fried basil beef with cashnew nuts - spicy, but delicious. For desert we had the pannacotta with black sesame candy and sticky rice with coconut icecream. Yum! Already feeling hungry just by writing about it!

Find it here:
229 Chapel Street, Prahran, VIC 3181, Australia

Such a perfect end to a lovely birthday!

Happy weekend!! *K

7 comments:

  1. Oh! Ja dann wünsche ich dir alles Gute nachträglich. Ich hoffe du hattest ein schönes Fest (bei dem genialen Restaurant kann es aber nur toll gewesen sein ;-D).

    Liebe Grüße
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always so impressed by how much you exploring Melbourne, and inspiring me to do the same! Tan is a very old friend of my father's (the cartoon on the menu is a pretty good likeness!) and I agree - excellent food p.s. we need to get around to our coffee soon! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if that's not a reason to go back there I don't know what is...go get those Banksies! Here someone just cut one out of the facade of a building and tried to auction it off in America...
    ♥nic

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous place! I like vintage interiors :) Your photos are awesome. May I ask which lens have you used?

    ReplyDelete
  5. a rather late happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails