Friday, March 15, 2013

| western australia | hamelin bay



I am still going through all my pictures of Western Australia to write about places I loved the most during my trip with my parents - today I would love to show you Hamelin Bay.

Hamelin Bay is a located between Cape Leeuwin and Cape Naturaliste close to Karridale and we stopped there en route to Cape Leeuwin to see some amazing limestone caves.

The bay is not only absolutely stunningly beautiful (think white sand and crystal clear blue water), but it holds quite a surprise underneath its water. Like my dad, I am big fan of wildlife and animals, so we had to check out the beach and its large population of rays, the largest being eagle rays.

It was amazing, Unforgettable really! Nature is incredible!
The rays are peaceful and calm - and they came super close to the shore!! Some of them were maybe 1 meter away from me in the swallow water. Totally showing of! Splashing water and having a feed.
My mom was quite worried about the long and dangerous looking stings and me walking along them, letting them come really close in waist deep water. All was good and I shot some great pictures and just enjoyed their company.



You see the dark spot in the black /white picture with my dad in the background? That big black spot in the water? That is one of the enormous eagle rays, just to show you the dimensions. A-mazing!

And oh, just after writing this yesterday one of my friends called me to let me know that her boyfriend has been stung by a stingray while kitesurfing the day before (here in Melbourne) - must have been the worst pain he ever had! So, please , be careful when approaching stingrays - I might have been a bit careless back then!

But hey, beautiful creatures after all , right? *K

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful!

    I really want to go back to WA, I've only been to Perth and Fremantle for a wedding, and there is so much more to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so stunning! I'm a little afraid of rays so I don't think I'd be as brave as you were - they're huge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the water is so clear!

    And I'm with Sue - I wouldn't have gone quite as close!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Da war ich auch. Wunderschön. Und die Rochen sind der absolute Hammer. Sicher warst Du da nicht schwimmen, oder? ;O) LG, Nadine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Die Bilder vom Rochen sind klasse! Gute Wahl mit schwarz-weiß.

    Wünsch dir ein schönes Wochenende.
    LG
    Manuela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ich finde deinen Blog echt toll! Deine Fotos sind immer total schön und fangen die Stimmung richtig gut ein :)
    Ich habe mich auch ein wenig an deinem Archiv orientiert, als ich mein Travel Archiv erstellt habe. Ich fande die Idee so schön nicht nur Banner für die einzelnen Länder zu erstellen (das sieht man ja öfter), sondern auch ein paar Schlagwörter mit einzubringen. Danke für die Inspirationen! :)

    Liebe Grüße
    Cotton Candy Stories

    ReplyDelete
  7. so beautiful! we are dying to get to australia..love these pictures!
    xo
    welltraveledwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Genau das wünsche ich mir im Moment:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, these are amazing. My husband and I are dying to go to Australia! What a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, so schöne Fotos. Genau richtig jetzt, wo draußen Schnee liegt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails