Thursday, August 23, 2012

postcode 3205 // south melbourne





The city of Melbourne is a big puzzle of different suburbs - west, east, north of the river, south of river. All of them have a quite distinct feel and atmosphere, some grungy, some posh, some modern, some maritime. We have Little Vietnam, Chinatown, Middle East and Little Italy. I love that about Melbourne - every weekend you can go out and explore another part of the city! So I made a personal goal to visit (and shoot) as many suburbs as possible during my stay here in Melbourne and share them with you! Hope you like to explore a bit more of the "real" Melbourne through my viewfinder :)

First up is South Melbourne.

Wikipedia tells me that South Melbourne is one of the oldest suburbs in Melbourne (hence the many Victorian era streetscapes) and is located 2km in the south of the CBD. We go to South Melbourne to visit the quite popular South Melbourne Market - a covered market selling fresh fruits, vegetables, meat and fish, but also houses several cute cafés and SO:ME - a really cool space featuring upcoming designers.
Around the market, mainly on Coventry Street and Clarendon Street, you find many lovely cafés and restaurants, shops selling the cutest things from Japanese china to vintage treasures. South Melbourne also features access to the much loved Albert Park - one of the best places in Melbourne to go for a run, once per year turning into Formular One circus stage (been there, done that).

Oh and we found the wonderful red chair in one of the op-shops along Clarendon Street - for 20 dollars a real gem!

Go out and explore! *K

9 comments:

  1. Melbourne habe ich von der ersten Sekunde an geliebt. So auch Deine Bilder. Schade nur das es im Winter dort einfach zu kalt ist. Für meinen Geschmack. Liebe Grüße aus good old germany!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it is a treat to have you as a guide to Melbourne. Thanks a lot.
    Btw, I follow another blog from someone in Melbourne. A blog that I specially love. http://theowloutsidemydoor.blogspot.com
    I thought that it might interest you too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh goodness! These photos make me want to visit Melbourne! :)
    Someday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melbourne looks so young and alive and hip, I want to visit!! Your pictures are great!
    I am your newest follower...ciao!
    Anticipationblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melbourne!!! <3
    Wie ich dich beneide...
    Schöne Grüße aus Hamburg, Germany!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Love Melbourne, one of my favourite places to visit. Beautiful photographs :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that chair is a great find! I love these photos of your exploring. Bring on beautiful Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  8. your photos always make me want to visit australia. someday, i hope!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails