Wednesday, July 11, 2012

diy: vintage plant stand



I love to find old vintage treasures - in op shops, on ebay and sometimes even on the street. One night I was walking back home from the gym, when I spotted those pretty vintage plant stands on the footpath along the street. Someone put them outside for the hard trash collection. And I thought to myself that they would look really pretty on our large terrace that we yet have to decorate for next summer.

So I took them and carried them all the way home. They were rusty, the old plastic cover coming off - but I was in love. Last weekend I went to Bunnings and bought some colour, rustbuster and a new paint brush - getting ready for some DIY action during the week.



I chose a colour that reminds me of summer, beach and surfing - and makes me happy when I look at it. And that it is called "Surf Wash" made me even want it more! It is a fabulous aqua-ish colour!



First I had to peel of as much of the old plastic cover as possible. After I was done (my fingers were bleeding at that point), I applied a thick coat of rustbuster to prevent more rust in the future. After letting it dry for a day, I started to paint - two coats in total with overnight dry time in between.

Et voila - my new vintage plant stand painted with Dulux "surf wash".



I love the result - and I am will tackle the second one in the weeks to come.
Yeay to DIY!! Any projects you are planning on doing??

5 comments:

  1. This is so cute! Way to channel summer ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is way cute!!! i have something i can do that with...hmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Youhou!!!! Great to catch up on your posts again :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,
    what type of dulux paint you used?
    is this outdoor enamel paint or acrylic?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails