Thursday, March 15, 2012

beijing // antique market




On my last day in Beijing my friend was off work and so we headed to the infamous Antique Market together. We had a great time roaming the stalls, so many things on offer, great people-watching as well. Some clearly old things, some clearly not so old, but overall a very nice mix. You find everything from ceramics, to Mao posters and collectables, books, old suitcases (wanted to buy them all!), jewelry and clothing. A really nice place! Afterwards we went for our last feast at the local dumpling house and a footmassage right from heaven! And off I was to my next adventure in Bali the next day!!

I had a great time in Beijing - China is such a different and sometimes difficult place. No, I did not enjoy the smog, the unbelievable crowded metros, spitting, the crazy taxi drivers and did I mention the smog? But somehow I have this thing for China though - I always get hooked! Looking forward to return soon!

Click here to see all the posts about Beijing!
Thanks for all the nice comments, they really made me smile!*K

14 comments:

  1. did you buy anything? i love to visit markets when I travel, but then i have to remember that i only have a limited amount of space in my bag :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want that gramophone and type writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Klasse, mir gefallen das Gramophon, der Plattenspieler und die Koffer am Besten. Sind das Schuhe auf dem zweiten Foto?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, das sind Schuhe - ich nehme mal an noch aus der Zeit der abgebundenen Füsse, sie waren ganz arg klein!! LG

      Delete
  4. Oooo...I really wan those tea cups! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, so glad that you've been to Turkey as it's the love of my life :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning. Absolutely stunning.


    Minted Magazine


    mintedmag.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool!! Did you buy anything? I'm finally heading to Beijing this August, and I'll definitely have to check this out - somehow there's a soft spot in my heart for silver jewellery and vintage communist propoganda ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I did not buy anything.... Unfortunately! But as I was on my way to Australia my bag pack was already super full. And with the strict border controls in Australia, I could not even buy myself tea.... Next time :)

      Delete
  8. I just loved the markets in Beijing when we were there too. Just amazing places, really.
    Ronnie xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Antique markets are so fun to explore! There is so much to find! I've only been to the european antique markets and one in India but China is on the top of my list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beijing is on the top of my list of travels after I finish my studies. Did u have to speak chinese/use a phrase book?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really go! It is a great place! And no, I do not speak Mandarin and I also did not use a guidebook. I had a business card with the address of the place I stayed (for taxis drivers etc.) and besides that I spoke with hand / feet. All in all, Beijing is okay to travel - most signs are in Mandarin and English and people more and more speak English. No worries :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails