Wednesday, November 2, 2011

// travel snapshots // humanitarian photography



I have been following Kylie on her adventures through South America for a while now and I love the humanitarian work she and her boyfriend are doing. The pictures and movies they take and create are simply wonderful, the portraits of the people they meet unforgetable. They always take my breath away!!
I am so happy that Kylie helps me out while I am in Beijing (blocked by the great Chinese firewall) and shares her pictures and thoughts with us. Please also visit spencer and kylie and traveling triplets to see more of her travels and work!! Keep it coming Kylie! :)

//

What is your most favorite place to take photographs?
My favorite place to take photographs is any place filled with children who live in conditions far different than my own. Currently, I live in Ecuador and work with rural communities, which is filled with photogenic opportunities!



What makes this place so photogenic in your eyes?
As a humanitarian photographer, it is my goal to bring to light the reality of how people live in other countries. It can be hard to imagine life in a mud hut with no running water or electricity for those who do not have that situation. To capture these images on film is to bring these differing lifestyles to life. As they surface, people are able to connect to others across the globe in an intimate way and feel inspired and humbled to both do something to help serve others and remember to count their many blessings.





Which popular sights did you like best?
Machu Picchu was absolutely fantastic. The views were majestic and the llamas really add to the fun, as they just cruise around the grounds all day and walk right up to tourists to be pet and photographed. MP really lives up to its expectations – when you see the well-known image of the ruins with the sun peaking behind and clouds floating through, it is equally breathtaking if not more in real life.

Love my love

Epic shots of llamas



Every place has its own beauty, essence and specialities. How can this be captured on film?
The key is to have an eye for detail. As a photographer and videographer, it is important to select pieces that together work to create an entire masterpiece. Photographers capture moments that pass, simple and unexpected, and through these moments photos tell a story. Natural beauty requires patience and alertness, and as you document the feet, trunk, and ear of an elephant the viewer is able to see it up close and create the ultimate vision in their own mind of what the entire elephant would look like.



Are there any specifics to take into consideration while shooting and do you have any special recommendations on how to get the "perfect picture"?
To get the perfect picture, you need to understand your camera settings. Shooting in manual with a low aperture is the only way to go if you really want that bokeh and depth of field look. Be sure to invest in a decent fixed lens that can capture the details you want to display. Don’t rush and snap away over and over – it is often better to have a few superb shots instead of a hundred mediocre snaps.




While traveling, what camera equipment do you normally take?
I always take my Canon 7D and Canon 5D mk II with me. My lenses currently include the Canon 50 mm 1.8 and 17-40 mm L series. I am on the hunt for a good mid-range lens, but the fixed and wide lenses give me some variety in my shooting that always turns out great.

Transito, Daniela, Jenifer, y Abigail Iarinango

What is your favorite picture of this place and why?
I’d have to say my favorite picture from Ecuador would be of a sweet lady who lives in a community called Cochas. Every time we visit her home, she makes us papas, huevos y choclo with a delicious spicy sauce. The photo shows her slight smile with vibrant contrasting colors in front of her very own wheat field. She grows all her own food and lives with her old father, taking care of him and helping tend her own children.



Find me: www.spencerandkylie.blogspot.com and www.travelingtriplets.com

9 comments:

  1. thank you so much for this, kristina! i love it. absolutely wonderful and pleased to be sharing here today. thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these pictures make me really want to be there. Especially with the Llamas =)

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cool! that's my sis! i love her photos and she has such talent :) thanks for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely great post K! Thanks for sharing your adventures

    ReplyDelete
  5. all of these images are just so breathtaking and all showcase such meaning. no words can express the beauty. thank you for sharing!
    xo TJ

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the photographs! Gorgeous and they tell a story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. These images are beyond beautiful. I'm in love with the close-up images--such beautiful children and the images just make my heart melt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous photos!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails