Friday, June 17, 2011

{ russia } moscow red square

One of the places you will definitely visit while being in Moscow is the Red Square. It is "the" square in Moscow, maybe even in whole Russia. Many of the most popular sights in Moscow are located on the Red Square or at least close by, including many churches, museums etc. Walking up to the square from the nearby metro station, I was greeted with below first glance of the St. Basil Cathedral. Isn't it too cute?



Those fur hats are so Russian :)

Looking over the square you spot the State History Mueseum in the back and the GUM department store to the right. Second picture is looking in the other direction, facing St. Basil cathedral as well as one of the towers of the Kremlin.


The GUM is the former State Department Store of Moscow- it is well known for the long queues of shoppers as it didn't have any shortages of consumer goods, even during the darkest communist years. :) Today it is a high-fashion temple with all major (and expensive) designer represented in beautiful stores. Remember, Moscow is actually one of the most expensive cities worldwide, this is definitely the place where the rich and pretty go shopping.



Another highlight of the Red Square is Lenin's mausoleum, in which the remains of the former Russian leader Lenin are on display. His embalmed body is there on display since 1924 - but I was so lucky to be in Moscow during his yearly "refreshment" session. Too bad, the mausoleum was closed...




And finally the heart of the Red Square - the St. Basil Cathedral. It was completed in 1561 and I think it is one of the most pretty churches I have ever seen. Straight out of a Russian fairytale!



The Red Square is a great place for people-watching as well. You also will see many people in many different uniforms that all kind of look important. And many expensive cars around the GUM.

---
Happy weekend to all of you!! Any fun plans?
I will be enjoying my sofa as it is supposed to rain tomorrow and we have no plans anyway :)

27 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, the red square is huge! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog :)

    Russia looks amazing, it's high on my list of 'places-to-go-to'. Your pictures are great!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are amazing. Moscow looks awesome!!!
    (So glad to have stumbled across your blog via Slow Noodle...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.... wow...
    can't beleive how old the church is! the colors are incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. indeed so cute - looks like something out of a children's fantasy movie.

    also, got your photos in the mail! thanks so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These photos are great. I totally want to come visit here some day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I saw the fur hats, I thought 'that is so Russian' which is also your caption! When I first saw a picture of St. Basil, I thought it was fake because it's so fairytale-like. I'm sure the actual building must be breathtaking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristina,
    these made my heart go pitter patter. It doesn't even look REAL does it? It's just so gorgeous and mysterious and I think that's why I am such a big fan of russia. These photos are gorggeeeous.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oooh. ich komm gar nicht mehr aus dem staunen heraus. wirklich schönes set. macht ganz dolle fernweh :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. St. Basil Cathedral looks like a big cake =)

    - Sarah
    http://agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow these are really great photos! I guess a trip to Russia is definitely worth taking. I love the buildings.

    xo katie elizabeth
    ohheyylife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooh, these photos make me want to hop on a plane!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow that looks absolutely amazing! I'd love to go there!

    www.styleisalwaysfashionable.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for that amazing trip!!!
    love love looove those pictures!

    a big hug,
    elena

    ReplyDelete
  15. You get to go to the coolest of places :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm not a fan of the fur hats, but so much of this is beautiful! I really do hope I'll be able to go one day!

    Like you said, rainy weekend. I was hoping to spend most of the day outside today, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great images :) And Moscow is on my 'places to see before I die' list for sure!
    Also love the color palette under here, I can never get enough of those!

    Hugs and a happy Saturday to you :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Das sind wahnsinnig schöne Fotos. Und ein wahnsinnig schöner Platz, die Häuser und Kirchen so bunt und irgendwie auch verspielt.

    Dir ein schönes Wochenende!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i cannot get over those beautiful buildings....my goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  20. great photos! I have always wanted to visit Moscow, and since it doesn't look like I will make it there anytime soon, I am living vicariously through your photos!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've waited for those!!! Stunning!!! Russia is a place full with so many contradictions. So much beauty and richness and still such remote rural places, poor and back in time.
    The last photo looks like a painting. The colours are so soft and delicate.
    Awesome photography as always friend! Can't have enough of your photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. P.S. Oh, and those fur hats!! I want one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. beautiful shots

    xoxo

    T from THE WORLD TOUR
    A couple of lovers sailing around the world.
    http://sailingaroundtheglobe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow..I totally love your photos of the Red Square. Its such an incredible place! Have a fantastic Thursday, darling

    ReplyDelete
  25. i want one of those fur hats! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails