Wednesday, June 1, 2011

{ russia } moscow randoms

Remember that I was in Russia almost one month ago? Time flies. Anyway, I have visited Moscow for business and then extended my stay for one day to do some sight-seeing. First time in Russia for me and I was very excited!

Moscow is huge. The traffic is the worst I have seen in my life. It was very cold and somehow very grey. The first two days I was basically spending in the car of my Russian colleague, driving from one of our stores to the next, which took us ages. So most of the below pictures I took from the car - first glimpse of Moscow.





Somehow it was just how I imagined it to be. Many "russian-style" buildings. And many dirty cars. Haha.




Somehow I have this thing for communist signs, statues and artwork. It is not that I am a huge fan, but I guess I find it rather cool. And Moscow has many of those huge statues displaying heros of the Russian society. So as we were standing in traffic most of the time, I was able to take some shots.




I love the cyrillic signs! However, it makes navigating through the city rather difficult as even the metro stations are only announced in cyrillic. And also noone speaks English. Shop assisants were practically hiding behing their counter once they found out that I was not Russian. Funny.




So, this was the first glimpse. More posts about the Red Square, the Kremlin and the wonderful Metro coming up next week! Tomorrow we have a public holiday and as I took vacation on Friday, we are off to a short camping trip tomorrow morning. Most probably to Alsace (France) to visit places such as Colmar, Strasbourg and Nancy. See you next week!!

What are you up to? *K

15 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip away. Love the first glimpse of Moscow. Reminds me a lot of what it was like when I visited in 2004 - I thought it might have changed a little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like to visit Moscow someday. There are lovely photos. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to Colmar and Strasbourg this weekend!!!! AHHH!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh wow, wie toll. einfach wahnsinn wo du schon überall gewesen bist. bin schon sehr gespannt auf die restlichen bilder von moskau. da will ich auch unbedingt mal hin.
    bild nr. 2 hat mich total beeindruckt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's nice to see these pictures. I like the statues, the style is so typical. One where there is a rocket really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great! I'm looking forward to seeing more photographs of Moscow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tough country, isn't it? And then the Soviet era Metro is like a museum! I have only been once myself, and I like Russians, their spirit and willingness to live fully, but it is harsh place, at least at first sight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We've always wanted to visit there but it seems kind of intimidating? My friend has lived there before so maybe we can go with him :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. The last time I've been to Moscow was probably 15 years ago with my grandpa. I still remember how cold it was. Beautiful images, sweetie. Have a great camping trip and see you next week
    Muah

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm jealous, I really want to go to Moscow! I hope you share more photos. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool! I have some family and friends who live in Moscow (and in Russia in general) but I've never been! I'd love to visit some day! Can't wait to see the rest of your photos...when you got to get out of the car hehe :o)

    ReplyDelete
  12. looks really interesting, I'm planning to go to China early on this June. Hopefully it went well :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow, I've always wanted to go there. Can't wait for the rest of these photos!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Genau so stelle ich mir Moskau vor. Es sieht aus wie damals im Osten. Die alten Monumente und die Details des Kommunismus sind allgegenwärtig. In meinem alten Heimatort steht auch immer noch der Karl Marx Kopf. Das ist auch ein Monument, das niemand entfernt. Schon komisch die Vergangenheit so nah zu sehen.

    Ich bin gespannt auf weitere Fotos.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails