Tuesday, February 15, 2011

{tales from costa rica} baby sloths are cute

For sure Costa Rica is famous for its wildlife. We have been visiting many national parks, rainforests, cloud forests and beaches throughout our trip, but a real chance to get close to animals was during our visit of the Jaguar Rescue Center at Puerto Vejio.

Encar is a Spanish biologist who opened this animal shelter together with her husband in 2005. It is not a zoo, but a rescue and education center with the goal of releasing all the animals back into the wild.

It was a great experience to come so close to all those animals, many of them hurt or orphans. There is anything from a injured Toucan, to baby Howler Monkeys, sloths and those great green frogs, which live on the centers ground.  You can go inside to play with the baby howler monkeys, who will jump all over you and sit on your head and shoulders. And as you can see below, they certainly messed up my hair :)













If you are in the region you should go and visit this great project. The entrace fee will go straight to the project, as they do not receive any official sponsoring and survive only on donations.

PS: Isn't this frog just amazing? Loved it!!

PPS: So, finally this was the last post about Costa Rica! We had a wonderful and exciting time there, simply loved our road trip! Thanks for all the sweet comments along the way :)


Copyright all on me.

15 comments:

  1. Oh sind die süß. Alle miteinander. Das Faultier sieht aus, als würde es lächeln. Und die Farben des Frosches. So toll. Wie fühlt sich der kleine Affe an?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sloth's are the strangest animals - so odd looking and yet vaguely cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG the sloth is really lovely but the frog is amazing! I so want to go there and see all those imcreadible animals in person:) Love those posts,sweetie. Have a fantastic Tuesday
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  4. now wondering if i can have a sloth as a pet here???? :):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad Krystal (from the Village) gave me a link to this post! This place sounds so amazing! Your blog, too... full of so many of my interests! I can't wait to begin exploring YOUR site, ha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. baby sloths are soooo cute kristina!!

    i love the picture of you with the monkey crawling on your head. you look so relaxed (:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my, these photos need to be on the site Cute Overload (.com) So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been there...I also held the sloth! I forgot her name, but I had the best experience. I really love, love, love Costa Rica!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All these animals are either so colorful or cuddly. I've been enjoying all your posts from Costa Rica - everything is so beautiful and unique!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Kristina! Your photos took my breath away!! This frog is sure amazing but my favorite photo is the first one. Unbelievable beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is truly amazing! I have always wanted to see a real life Toucan! &the baby sloth...oh my cuteness :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ps: I’m hosting an adorable shoes GIVEAWAY today! Just in time for spring!
    Kisses, my dear

    ReplyDelete
  13. Soooo cute. I remember watching a mama and baby sloth together in a tree...it was adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, da waren wir damals auch.
    Fand ich sehr schön :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails