Monday, November 1, 2010

// foto focus // vientiane

Almost two years ago I travelled to the small Asian country of Laos. After having lived in Singapore for almost one year, I am deeply in love with Asia, particularly with South East Asia.

So in September 2008 we took off to Laos - flying into Bangkok, making our way up to Northeast Thailand where we crossed the border to Laos and drove to its capital Vientiane in a small local bus.

The city of Vientiane is so different from all other Asian capitals I have been before. It is small, quite, rural and you have wonderful wats (temples) at every corner. The calmness of the Buddhist monks and their chanting can be felt throughout the city.


















Originally we planned to travel through Laos for 2 weeks, moving from Vientiane over to Viang Vieng and further on to Luang Prabang. I have been dreaming about this place for quite a while.
Unfortunately I got very sick and we had to fly back to Bangkok to get better treatment for me as the medical situation in Laos is rather basic (or lets say almost non-existing). However, I hold dear memories of Laos and promised to return one day and finally make it to Luang Prabang.


Copyright all on me.

10 comments:

  1. Spectacular photo essay! I am so inspired, because my husband, daughter, and I are going to Luang Prabang for Christmas this year. Love your blog, I am adding it to my reader.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..what a beautiful place and you can really feel the more relaxed vibe of this place!
    Love love love
    Happy Monday,sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos. If you loved Vietiane you really, really need to make sure that you get to Luang Prabang. I travelled the other way - from Luang Prabang to Vientiane and found Luang Prabang too big and noisy after the quiet of Laos country-side. Loas is really such a magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing pictures from the other side of the world! And these pictures are gorgeous.... love bright vibrant pics :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE ur blog - i would LOVE to have been able to visit - what a great life u have lived so far - i can just imagine all the more greatness coming!!

    PS - PLEASE come one come all and
    *Enter Camille Beckman Luxury Give-Away Here*

    *kiss kiss*
    Erika

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! those are stunning pictures! what a heavenly place! i have yet to go to asia and would LOVE to experience it! some day i know me and the mister will go!

    sorry to hear that you got sick :( that is never fun when on vacation!

    xo,
    cb

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is so amazing! I wish one day i will definitely go to Asia

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! The sunset pic is BREATH TAKING!! Come see my travel blog :)

    http://ladulcivida.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures of Vientiane are gorgeous! I was there for 3 days and got bored quickly, but the people there are so friendly. I've been wanting to go to Luang Prabang too- I've heard so many great things about it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, these pictures are so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails