Wednesday, August 25, 2010

wanderings through berlin: east side gallery

Berlin = The Wall.

In 1989, when the Wall came down, I was 8 years old and did not quite understand what was going on, the story about West Germany and East Germany and the impact this fight for freedom had on all our lives...

Wandering through Berlin 21 years later one can hardly imagine that there has been a border through Germany and especially a concrete wall through the heart of Berlin. Crazy. Unbelievable.

Today you have to search hard to find pieces of the Wall still on display. The East Side Gallery close to Alexanderplatz, directley at the shore of the Spree river is such a place. Painted with colourful, though not original, paintings you can take a stroll along the Wall.... and it is still so hard to image that this "thing" has seperated West from East Germany for so many years and brought so many tears, pain and death to the people of Berlin.




 

  

Behind the East Side Gallery you can find many Beach Clubs, especially very nice during the summer.

5 comments:

  1. Those are such a great photos....Berlin is on my travel list for next spring:) Cant wait!

    Kisses my lovely

    Ps: I will be hosting a really great GIVEAWAY this afternoon… so please join in !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pictures.
    I'd love to visit the city someday

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazingly powerful. What an experience and so eloquently worded!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously think the best place to visit is Germany. I have lots of friends who have gone there and they highly recommend that I go there too because it is a country filled with history and artistry. I hope to visit the historic wall someday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My new German friends all rave about Berlin!!! I should really GO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by!
If you have any question, please drop me a note at kristinablogs@gmail.com.

Have a look at

Related Posts with Thumbnails